Jon Michael Siau is the award winning teacher and acclaimed artist from Evansville Indiana. This website is the official source for all information regarding Jon and his work. The site has just launched so please check back soon for exciting updates about Jon and his projects.
Has taught at Evansville North H.S. since the fall of 1971 to the spring of 2013
Adjunct art teacher at three universities
Teaching Awards and Honors
- 2008 Semi-Finalist for “Indiana Teacher of the Year” as chosen by the Indiana Dept. of Education.
- 2008 Named by the readers: EVANSVILLE LIVING Magazine as Evansville’s “Most Inspiring Educator”
- 2006 Named as recipient of the “American Star of Teaching” award (a national and state award) sponsored by the United States Department of Education, Washington D.C. Selected from over 60,000 teachers in Indiana. Mr. Siau was the only art teacher in the nation to be chosen for this national honor.
- “Teachers like Jon Siau never give up on a child. They believe every child, regardless of race, income or zip code, can achieve high standards in school.” —Margaret Spellings, United States Secretary of Education
- “This is our way of honoring you for the way you honor your students, your community and your profession. Our community needs more teachers like you.” —U.S. Congressman John Hostettler
- 2004 “Excellence in Education: Project e Award”, sponsored by the Christel DeHaan Foundation, of Indianapolis. The award of $8,000.00 was presented by legendary UCLA coach and educator, John Wooden.
- The presentation took place at mid-court of Conseco Field House (Indianapolis, IN) in front of 16,000 in attendance. An additional $2,000.00 was presented to North H.S. in Mr. Siau’s honor.
- 2002 “The Power of Art” award presented by the Robert Rauschenberg Foundation (Washington D.C.). The award was for outstanding work with students with learning disabilities. The award was presented at a formal banquet held in the National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C.
- 2002 “High School Teacher of the Year” award, as presented by the University of Evansville and The Evansville Courier
- 1999 “ALL-USA Teaching Team”, as chosen by the national newspaper USA TODAY. Mr. Siau was the only art teacher in the national to be chosen for this award .
- 1994 “Arts Educator of the Year” award, as presented by the Arts Council of Southwestern Indiana
- 1988 “Evansville Teacher of the year” award, as presented by The Evansville Courier
- Also National Honor Roll‘s “Outstanding American Teaching” award and numerous “Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers” awards
Student Honors & Highlights
- North students annually win local, regional, state and nation art awards
- North students have won $32,000.00 in the state of Indiana’s premier competition for the Ans: Project
- XL/eXcel Awards. North students have won ten ﬁrst place awards, three second place, and two third place awards
- Mr. Siau’s North students have won “Best of Show” awards in the Evansville Museum’s H.S. Art Show in four different decades .,
- Over one hundred of Mr. Siau’s students have been honored with United States National Art Awards
- One student’s art was chosen to be displayed in the United States Capital Building in Washington, D.C. for one year
- His students have attended college (majoring in Art/Architecture) in the following states: Indiana, Illinois, Georgia, Kentucky, New York, Pennsylvania, Missouri, California, Texas, Florida, Ohio, Connecticut, Minnesota, Oklahoma and Utah
- One former student won the “International Game Design of the Year” award
- One former student won a student “Emmy” award for his movie “The Planeteers”
- One former student, while studying fashion design at New York City’s F.I.T. (Fashion Institute of Technology), was asked to serve, apprenticeships with Vera Wang and Victoria Secret. She now works for Ralph Lauren Polo
- One former student designed the interior of luxury jets for Michael Jackson and the Prince of Brunei (the world’s richest person)
- One former student, and her husband ﬁlm the TV cooking segments for Paula Deen’s “Paula’s Best Dishes”
Personal Honors And Highlights
- Awarded a medallion from the State of Indiana as one of the state’s top contemporary artists
- Commissioned to be the ﬁrst-ever artist to create original artwork for the United State Olympic Committee’s world—wide publication, THE OLYMPIAN. This publication was sent to every nation in the world
- Created artwork for such celebrities as: Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, Don Mattingly, Harry Caray, Bob Knight, Vince Gill, Bill Cosby, The Judds, Garth Brooks, and Steven Tyler (Aerosmith).
- Has artwork in each of the ﬁfty states
Contributions To North H.S. And The EVSC
- Founder and curator of North H.S. Alumni permanent art collection ‘ ‘
- Founder of the North H.S. Athletic Hall of Fame
- Co-Founder of the North. High School Academic Hall of Fame
- Member of the EVSC Foundation board of directors.
- Responsible for the revision of the art curriculum for the EVSC
- Designed the current logo for the Evansville-Vanderburgh School Corporation ~
- Has served as class sponsor, art club sponsor, Project XL coordinator, leadership committee member, pep club sponsor, ﬁlm club sponsor, intramural director, PTSA second vice president, S.I.A.C. Steering committee and has designed art work for the yearbooks, school newspapers, and numerous clubs and organizations
Coaching Honors And Highlights
- Has coached in ﬁve different decades
- Coached forty-ﬁve varsity teams at North H.S.
- Been chosen as “Coach of the Year” in four different sports
- Coached championship teams in four different sports
- Coached state-ranked teams (in the top ten) in four different sports V
- Coached ﬁve state champions and four All-Americans
- Coached state ﬁnalists and/or state ﬁnalist teams in four different sports –
- Coached his teams to 1,573 varsity wins as a head coach
Other Highlights & Honors
- 2006 “Jon Michael Siau Day”, as proclaimed by the mayor of Evansville
- 2006 Leadership Evansville’s “Celebration of Leadership Award for the Arts” recipient
- Ofﬁciated the N.A.I.A. National Soccer Championships
- Co-Founder and ﬁrst coach of the Evansville track club
- Chosen “Volunteer of the Year” by Keep Evansville Beautiful, Inc.
- 2013 Leadership Evansville’s Celebration of Leadership “Sportsmanship Award
Community Involvement & Contributions
- Annual Designs for the Goodwill Industries of Evansville
- United Way of SW Indiana
- WNIN (Public Television) Annual Art Auction Donations
- Soles 4 Souls International artwork to help collect ten thousand pair of shoes in the tri-State area
- Illustrated a book which was distributed within our schools to combat littering
- Designed the logo for the Hands on Discovery Children’s Museum
- Designed the logo for Evansville Coalition for the Homeless
- Former member of the Evansville Museum’s Art Committee, responsible for the acquisition of art for the permanent collection.
- Former member of the Roberts Stadium Foundation Board of Directors.